February flew didn’t it? Everyone always says it’s because it’s a short month, but in reality it’s only 2 or 3 days shorter… But, as February goes, we know we’re moving to warmer, longer days which I am grateful for as we’re still in our lockdown here in Wales. Onto the social media updates from February then…
Note: I’ve not actually talked about Clubhouse yet, because as an Android user… I’ve not got access. By all accounts though, it looks great.
- According to Matt Navarra, a new feature is being rolled out called Account Status, which basically puts your pages and groups all in one easily accessible place.
- Some changes coming into force with privacy and cookie rules, might result in Pixels not working as expected.
- Shopify can now integrate with Facebook and Instagram, which is big news!
- Twitter annouced, on the back of Clubhouse, Twitter Spaces will soon be launched – they’ll be in the Reels bar, and I suspect, work in a similar way to Clubhouse. More on that probably in the March round-up if not before.
- Fleets sees a little upgrade, more on the visual side – keep an eye on these if you use them, I suspect they will only get better and better.
- Twitter also annouced a subscription model might be coming in soon, so you can posgt exclusive content to only a select few followers. From what I’ve seen on social media so far, it doesn’t seem very popular. Will it even launch?
- The big Feburary news was that Instagram won’t promote any Reels with a TikTok watermark. It had been super easy to make your excellent Reels over on TikTok and then share them to Instagram. Looks like this will be no more! Sad, because TikTok does have superior features at the moment.
- Other big news that I was a tad saddened by is that Instagram is also tested removing the share posts to story feature. This would be a huge blow for many marketers I think! Will it happen though…
- The ability to have more than 1 person join you in a live is coming… and this will be exciting!
- Stories may soon be in a vertical feed (oh hi, TikTok), rather than horizontal. I think I do prefer this actually, it’s how YouTube and TikTok work.
- Will we soon see Tweets being shared into Stories? There are rumblings…
That’s it for February, but lots of ‘coming soon’ and ‘rolling out’ next month. Plus, tweaks and updates to functionality already – it’s busy out there in the social media world.
Social media world moves fast, so I’ve decided to do a round-up at the end of every months with the updates I’m aware of – because there are surely, countless more! It definitely feels like every platform is rushing out updates left right and centre at the moment. Let’s see what’s happened in January.
I’d like to mention first of all, there just seems to be a lot of change going on on Facebook, and a lot of glitches because of it. I think this’ll carry on for a while…plus, lots of the news released about upcoming updates don’t have specific dates. So, there will be a lot of sitting around patiently.
- News released that the “Story” section on your Facebook pages will be removed – this was where historically we’d write a nice about piece for business pages.
- Pages got a makeover – which I love, what do you think?
- News also that the Like feature will also be removed soon, bringing in Following of pages instead
- News feeds for your pages is making a comeback! This used to be available many years ago, and now it’s on the return. I’m excited for this one, it’ll make business networking so much easier.
- Facebook also announced new user roles will soon be coming too, no idea when though.
- A huge 70,000 removed from the platform so you might notice a slight dip in your followers count.
- Exciting news that the blue tick verification will be coming back this year, after a couple of years of accounts not being able to apply for it!
- Clamp down on accounts that are violent towards others – welcome news.
- Interesting news that Instagram Reels might soon be found over on Facebook too, personlly, I’m still on TikTok.
- Over in India, Instagram Lite is being trialled, for communities with limited access to reliable internet.
- Ah, didn’t already mention this… Trump is banned from Facebook and Instagram indefinitely!
- I don’t personally use Instagram on the desktop, but it looks like they are testing new ones the Stories features show on the desktop. Is there a move to more desktop functionality coming? I do hope so!
- LinkedIn Stories gets a swipe up feature – if you aren’t already on the Stories here, it’s only available on the app and not desktop. I do know some who have yet to get it though!
- YouTube adds hashtags to their search facility, so you can now search hashtags!
And that’s it for January… back soon with more!